Downloadables Khutbahs for Friday PrayersEnglish | Malay/Jawi | Tamil
2 October 2015
- As a continuation to our appreciation of surah Al-Kahfi, let us learn in more detail about the story of Prophet Musa a.s. and a servant of Allah who was bestowed with knowledge and wisdom mentioned in verses 60 to 83 of surah Al-Kahfi. Some scholars of Tafsir are of the opinion that the person mentioned in the story is Prophet Khidir a.s.
- There are numerous lessons that can be learnt from this story. More specifically, lessons tied to knowledge and wisdom. From this verse, we can conclude firmly that all knowledge belongs to Allah, and Allah has the right to grant His knowledge to anyone He wishes.
- Hence, these verses remind us that we should never feel that we know everything. Remember that Allah’s knowledge is vast. And there are definitely matters that we do not know of. And the knowledge that we may not have might be something that has been bestowed on somebody else, perhaps a young child or even a youth, or even a student!
|Khutbah Title||The Story Of Prophet Musa a.s. In Seeking Knowledge: Lessons From Surah Al-Kahfi (PDF) [2 October 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||The Story Of Prophet Musa a.s. In Seeking Knowledge: Lessons From Surah Al-Kahfi [2 October 2015]|
25 September 2015
- In a cosmopolitan society like ours, success is often measured by wealth or one’s status within the community. Respect is sometimes given to another because he is wealthy and is of high stature, and thus that is why many people want to amass wealth and live lavishly.
- Islam does not prevent or discourage a person to be wealthy and to work hard to achieve worldly success, for it is better than to hold out one’s hand and beg for help. However, while we work hard to strive for worldly success, the objective should be clear that the wealth that we want to achieve is not just for personal gains, and not to be deluded that money is everything.
- Rather, the wealth and success that Allah has blessed us with should bring us much closer to Allah s.w.t. We need to always remember that the truth of the matter is that whatever we have earned and gained was achieved only with Allah’s permission and help.
|Khutbah Title||The Worldly Life And The Importance Of Being Grateful (PDF) [25 September 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||The Worldly Life And The Importance Of Being Grateful [25 September 2015]|
Eiduladha sermon – 24 September 2015 / 10 Zulhijjah 1436
- The month of Zulhijjah is a reminder to the greatness of hajj. It is the peak of ni’mah for the souls who come to congregate in Baitullah and the holy Kaabah.
- The holy ritual of hajj is completed by performing several rituals – from performing the tawaf at baitullah, to the gathering in Arafah. If we were to observe carefully, the rituals that make up the hajj are not meaningless and insignificant. Hajj is a journey that teaches us humility when standing before Allah s.w.t. It is a highly spiritual journey for those who want to build their relationship with Allah, and it is a ritual that forces us to be aware and sensitive of our interactions and dealings with other humans.
- We were also reminded that faith should lead to the fruition of good values, and rituals are to lead to a pure heart that is adorned with commendable behaviours. If we strive hard to perform our rituals, but we do not work on our morals to become better human beings, then we should really reflect upon ourselves.
|Khutbah Title||Appreciating The Value Of Sacrifice (PDF) [24 September 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Appreciating The Value Of Sacrifice [24 September 2015]|
18 September 2015
- In our bid to guard and strengthen our iman (faith), we cannot distance ourselves from a very important process, which is performing acts of worship (ibadah) and having a deep understanding of them.
- We are now in a special month, the month where millions of Haj pilgrims have embarked on their spiritual journey filled with sincerity and hope that Allah will accept their Haj.
- For those of us who are still here, there are many merits in the first ten days of Zulhijjah that we should try to benefit from. Hence we should grab any opportunity that Allah has given us to reap His rewards.
|Khutbah Title||The Merits Of Zulhijjah (PDF) [18 September 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||The Merits Of Zulhijjah [18 September 2015]|
11 September 2015
- One of the stories in the surah Al-Kahfi is about the young dwellers of the cave that had emphasised the importance of faith or iman. It serves as a lesson for us as we strive to strengthen our iman especially during difficult times.
- They were striving to preserve the strength of their iman, clarity of mind and their agility, despite the conditions which they were living in. They tried to build their resilience against influences and culture that may prevent them from having firm faith in Allah the Almighty.
- Based on the story of the dwellers of the cave, it has been described to us how valuable the youth are in Islam. They are a generation that develops their iman based on an accurate and firm understanding, and a generation that is resilient in bringing about changes and shaping the future of the Muslim community, in line with Allah’s guidance.
|Khutbah Title||Lessons from Surah Al-Kahfi (PDF) [11 September 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Lessons from Surah Al-Kahfi [11 September 2015]|
4 September 2015
- Al-Quran is indeed a blessing from Allah for the entire universe, through which Allah s.w.t. guides us to the straight path, and gives glad tidings to those who have faith; and clear warnings to those who have erred.
- Whenever Friday approaches, we will be reminded to uphold the sunnah of the Prophet s.a.w. that is to recite surah Al-Kahfi. At the same time, make sure that we understand its meaning and the stories and lessons contained in the surah. Hopefully we will not be among those the Prophet s.a.w. described as reading the Quran but not reading beyond their throats, whereby the meanings of the verses do not touch their hearts and move their souls.
|Khutbah Title||Al-Quran As Guidance: Lessons From Surah Al-Kahfi (PDF) [4 September 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Al-Quran As Guidance: Lessons From Surah Al-Kahfi [4 September 2015]|
28 August 2015
- To what extent a nation or state is practising Islamic values, is not measured by merely labelling it as a “khilafah” or an “Islamic state”. This is particularly when injustice, oppression, bribery, regression, and ineffectiveness are all characteristics of that particular state.
- On the other hand, what should be the benchmark of the extent that a nation or state practises Islamic values is its adherence to universal values and principles as derived from the Qur’an and Sunnah. These values and principles are justice, equality, consultative governance, a culture of goodwill, administrative efficiency, drive for the pursuit of knowledge and many others.
- It is thus the duty of every Muslim to instil Islamic principles and values in our daily lives. My brothers, let us nurture Islam within ourselves, our families, and our community. Islam teaches us to be pious at all times with the kind of piety that inspires us to do good and spread values wherever we are.
|Khutbah Title||Applying The Principles & Values Of Piety In Our Life (PDF) [28 August 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Applying The Principles & Values Of Piety In Our Life [28 August 2015]|
21 August 2015
- The key to uplift ones iman and improving religious life is knowledge. Knowledge that is derived from trustworthy and credible sources, and that inspires us to develop ourselves and our community.
- But like with any kind of knowledge, not all aspects of our religion are easy to comprehend. It requires care and deep reflection. We therefore need a certain level of sophistication in assessing our understanding of religious ideas and concepts.
- With the internet and social media, we do hear ideas floating around that seek to break Muslims away from their societies. This is where Islamic teachings and concepts have been irresponsibly used by individuals who have their own agenda. An example of such a concept is Al-Wala’ wal Bara’, translated as “Loyalty and Disavowal”.
|Khutbah Title||Misunderstood Concepts of Al-Wala’ wal Bara’ (PDF) [21 August 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Misunderstood Concepts of Al-Wala’ wal Bara’ [21August 2015]|
14 August 2015
- The Quran and the Sunnah are not merely sacred texts recorded in volumes. Know that the correct understanding of both constitutes part of holding on the Quran and Sunnah as well.
- The question now is how do we obtain a comprehensive understanding of the Quran and the Prophet’s Sunnah, with the advanced developments of social media today, we are witnessing mass sharing of information pertaining to religion.
- Yet such shared information may not necessarily be accurate. Thus, a few simple steps that could help guide us in obtaining a correct and comprehensive understanding of the Quran and the Sunnah.
|Khutbah Title||Understanding The Textual Sources Of Shari’ah (PDF) [14 August 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Understanding The Textual Sources Of Shari’ah [14 August 2015]|
7 August 2015
- We cannot deny that there are still many areas that need to be improved, which require the community to come together and work hand in hand, so that we can make strides in achieving excellence not just in this world, but the hereafter.
- However, as we work toward achieving excellence we need to bear in mind the need for wisdom or hikmah in planning our steps to ensure we will attain an outcome that is positive and beneficial for the entire community.
- It means we have to increase cooperation and mobilise our efforts toward more acts of kindness. Ensure that we leverage on the peaceful and harmonious living that we are blessed with in Singapore, to further enhance our spirituality and iman.
|Khutbah Title||The Role Of Muslims In Development (PDF) [7 August 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||The Role Of Muslims In Development [7 August 2015]|
31 July 2015
- Jemaah, let us not be among those who forget the obligation to be kind to others, especially to our parents and family members simply because we are too tired from work or we are facing difficult problems.
- Be fair and do not take it out on our family members who are in need of our love, care and concern. No matter how tired we are, or how difficult the problem that we are facing, our parents, spouse and children deserve to be treated with love and not with violence or neglect.
- Besides being kind to our family members, we are also called upon to fulfil our obligations to the community. We live within a society and no man is an island. Hence, we need to maintain good manners and ethics at all times.
|Khutbah Title||The Akhlak and Ethics of a Muslim in Facing Challenges in Today’s Modern World (PDF) [31 July 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||The Akhlak and Ethics of a Muslim in Facing Challenges in Today’s Modern World [31 July 2015]|
24 July 2015
- Islam is a religion that promotes balance and harmony in all aspects of human life. Take fasting for example; not only does it contribute to our physical well-being; it also paves way for us to cultivate our spiritual strength as well. Thus, when Muslims are faced with many challenges of living in today's modern world, both aspects are indispensable to the individual.
- As Muslims, we are surely guided by our faith, and this faith instils a high sense of self-confidence in facing any of these new changes and challenges. Thus as Muslims, we should not see modernity as wholly evil and destructive. And as God’s appointed caretakers of this world, or Khalifah, we should instead face these changes and challenges, by shaping them to our advantage.
|Khutbah Title||The Role of Religion in the Modern World (PDF) [24 July 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||The Role of Religion in the Modern World [24 July 2015]|
17 July 2015 - Eidfitri Sermon
- Alhamdulillah, the month of Ramadan that has just passed in Singapore was filled with deeds of ihsan (compassion) and kindness. Unfortunately, in some places, Ramadan is experienced differently. It was a Ramadan filled with atrocities, a call to violence and bloodshed. These indiscriminate killings disregarded race, religion or even location. Even the most sacred of locations, such as the land upon which the house of Allah has been built, became their targets.
- In the light of complex issues such as radical ideologies and diverse lifestyles that pose a challenge to one’s faith, we have to continue to develop an understanding of Islam that commensurate with the needs and the context of our community. It is an understanding that recognises the diversity of our Islamic tradition. It is an understanding that is guided by Islamic principles, and empowers our community to have an in-depth perspective on complex issues.
- Upon these principles, the earlier generations – our forefathers and pioneers – contributed towards the development of the Muslim community and country. They built mosques, conducted dakwah activities as well as charity work, and laid the foundations to ensure that we are able to continue to practice Islam in an organised and productive way. Today, we benefit from the fruits of their labour and their undying spirit of giving and sharing, and we are now able to enjoy religious harmony in this beloved country. We see such constructive religious life especially during Ramadan, proof that the Singapore Muslim community can be a community that radiates blessings to all. This is the Islam that we have inherited in Singapore, and this is the Islam that we want to pass on to our children.
|Khutbah Title||Developing Resilience As Muslims In Singapore (PDF) [17 July 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Developing Resilience As Muslims In Singapore [17 July 2015]|
17 July 2015
- We are grateful to Allah s.w.t for the peace and prosperity that He has bestowed upon us. We are able to celebrate this day with much happiness and joy, as we have witnessed today.
- Let us take this opportunity to strengthen the bond between us. Enjoin the ties that have been broken, and seek forgiveness for our mistakes. Let us deepen our familial ties with love, rahmah and ihsan.
- At the same time, let us spread some joy of Eidulfitri with those who are less fortunate. Let us be a concerned member of the society, who looks out for the welfare and well being of our neighbours, friends and relatives. Make use of the gifts that Allah s.w.t. has given to us to help those in need – be it in the form of time, wealth or energy.
|Khutbah Title||Spreading The Joy Of Eidulfitri (PDF) [17 July 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Spreading The Joy Of Eidulfitri [17 July 2015]|
10 July 2015
- We are now in the last ten nights of Ramadan. In one of these nights is the most powerful of all nights, that is Lailatul Qadar. It is recorded that deeds performed on that night is better than 1000 months. Hence, do not forego any opportunity to attain Allah’s forgiveness and His rahmah.
- In search of the Lailatul Qadar, we should realise that in essence, we are seeking Allah’s pleasure. Our diligence in performing acts of worship should not merely be motivated by our desire to meet Lailatul Qadar but that we should instil in ourselves the intention to gain Allah’s pleasure.
- Let us enliven these last few nights of Ramadan with efforts to deepen and appreciate our relationship with Allah. Make doa with full humility to Allah, asking that He bring us closer to Him and raise our status in His sight, as well as our family’s.
|Khutbah Title||Enlivening The Last Few Nights Of Ramadan (PDF) [10 July 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Enlivening The Last Few Nights Of Ramadan [10 July 2015]|
3 July 2015
- Spiritual development is one of the most important aspects of the life of a believer. Besides strengthening one’s faith (iman), a person’s spirituality can be developed through having ihsan in one’s life.
- It is obligatory upon every Muslim to have Ihsan not just in solat, fasting, zakat and so on, but also when it comes to his relationship with others such as family, the community, matters regarding traditions and so on.
- Besides striving to increase ihsan in our acts of worship, we can also make Ramadan a time for us to purify our wealth by paying zakat, in the hope of spreading ihsan to the poor and needy.
|Khutbah Title||Developing Ihsan Within The Family (PDF) [3 July 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Developing Ihsan Within The Family [3 July 2015]|
26 June 2015
- We need to cultivate having good thoughts of others, and we need to have faith that our family members have potentials to be good and do good. These are important values that will help every family tide through their own challenges.
- Every family will face challenges, brought about by our own weaknesses. But what is important is that every member of the family must put in the effort to communicate with each other. Our communication with one another may have been affected by our busy schedules.
- Parents need to be more open in showing and telling their children that they love and care for them. This will help them to feel more affectionate toward you and see you not just as disciplinarians, but more importantly, people who truly love them.
|Khutbah Title||Importance of strengthening Family Support (PDF) [26 June 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Importance of strengthening Family Support [26 June 2015]|
19 June 2015
- Ramadan is also known as the month of good deeds. It is the month in which Allah s.w.t. grants multiple rewards for the acts of kindness that we undertake.
- While we rush to earn the rewards from terawih prayers and reciting the Quran, do not forget about our spouse and children. Strengthen our relationship with Allah, together with our family.
- Hopefully by doing so Allah will strengthen our family ties and grant calmness in our household.
|Khutbah Title||Ramadan: The Month of Instilling Family Values (PDF) [19 June 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Ramadan: The Month of Instilling Family Values [19 June 2015]|
12 June 2015
- Last week we were reminded of the importance to take advantage of Syaaban to prepare ourselves to usher in Ramadan. This week, the sermon will discuss the need to prepare our families for Ramadan. Rasulullah s.a.w. He would consistently provide his family members with continuous guidance. As much as we wish for ourselves and family happiness in this world, we would also wish for the same in the Hereafter before Allah s.w.t. We hope and pray that our entire family will be the dwellers of Allah’s paradise.
- The family institution is the bedrock of every society and country. When the family succeeds, the community will also attain success. However, if the family is left without any guidance, then its members will be lost. Hence, as we are preparing to step into the month of Ramadan, I would like to call upon all of us to protect the family institution. This is especially so as our children are facing various challenges and trials.
|Khutbah Title||Ramadan With Family (PDF) [12 June 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Ramadan With Family [12 June 2015]|
5 June 2015
- Syaaban is the month for us to increase our preparations spiritually, physically and emotionally to greet the month of Ramadan. Hence it is even more important that we prepare ourselves in order to be worthy of these blessings.
- In preparing our souls for Ramadan, ensure that we keep ourselves busy with good deeds and do not let the time pass by quietly without performing any good deeds. This is because when our souls are left empty without any deeds, syaitan will whisper devious schemes into us.
- Hence, for us to face Ramadan, we must train ourselves to be sincere. Whether it is in front of others or in private, we must continue to be diligent in our acts of worship and more diligent in protecting ourselves from syaitan’s devious acts and our desires. Remind ourselves of Allah constantly, and that every act of worship is for Allah.
|Khutbah Title||Practicing Self-Reflection in the month of Syaaban (PDF) [5 June 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Practicing Self-Reflection in the month of Syaaban [5 June 2015]|
29 May 2015
- Faith is an entity that can fade and disappear if we do not make efforts for it to be renewed and strengthened. Therefore we should constantly monitor our state of iman in our hearts. Ponder, what will increase our faith, what will fertilize our faith, what will strengthen our faith. Why do we need to ponder this, my dear brothers? This is because there are among the men who seek to bring discords and destructions in the name of faith.
- Through our knowledge, we will be able to strengthen our akidah and the integrity of our iman in our hearts. Knowledge provides us the ability to be discerning and identify truth from falsehood, the clear from the blurry. This is the role of religious knowledge.
|Khutbah Title||Knowledge That Enlive The Faith (PDF) [29 May 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Knowledge That Enlive The Faith [29 May 2015]|
22 May 2015
- Come the month of Rejab, we are constantly reminded of the Isra’ and Mi’raj incident. It is an extraordinary experience that was exclusive to our Prophet Muhammad s.a.w.
- Although this incident is a blessing for Rasulullah s.a.w., we must not forget that he s.a.w. had to undergo trials and tribulations before experiencing Isra’ and Mi’raj. The Prophet s.a.w. was going through a very great trial from Allah s.w.t.
- The difficulties and challenges faced by the Prophet s.a.w. before he received the blessed invitation to meet Allah are actually sunnatullah of life
|Khutbah Title||Taking Isra’ dan Mi’raj As A Lesson for Believers In Facing Life Challenges (PDF) [22 May 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Taking Isra’ dan Mi’raj As A Lesson for Believers In Facing Life Challenges [22 May 2015]|
15 May 2015
- Last week, the khatib called upon us as believers to always ponder upon our actions, in a bid to boost our iman and thus achieve success in this world and the hereafter. As a continuation, today’s khutbah would reflect upon one of the six articles of faith. It is tied to an impending event that will certainly occur. That is the Day of Qiyamah or the Day of Judgement.
- While we seek to understand and learn about the Day of Qiyamah, and everything related to it, it is also important for us to identify the wisdom (hikmah) and lessons behind the Day of Judgement. This is because, without deep understanding and appreciation of why we believe in the Day of Qiyamah, it will cause confusion and failure to fully gain the benefits and intended effects of having been told of this day.
|Khutbah Title||Iman And Understanding Of The Day Of Judgement (PDF) [15 May 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Iman And Understanding Of The Day Of Judgement [15 May 2015]|
8 May 2015
- This week khutbah would like to highlight the important for us to strive to achieve a thorough understanding of Iman. Without a proper understanding on what ‘iman’ is, it will result in a plethora of different views and understandings. While some of these views might be perceived as part of the religion, fact of the matter is they are not even close to that.
- Allah’s explanations on His creations in the Quran. In addition to it being a testimony to Allah’s powers, to call upon us to contemplate and appreciate Allah’s creations. This is because Iman requires for the one who seeks to possess it to engage in a thinking process, and then to appreciate. It is not achieved by blindly following without giving much thought and without seeking for proper guidance.
- Therefore, let us take this opportunity, as we are nearing the month of Ramadan, to work on our recitations of the Quran, and to attended religious classes. And may we all be blessed with a resilient faith and Iman – one that would motivate us to think and contemplate, and that would heighten our appreciation of our religion
|Khutbah Title||Iman And The Call To Contemplate (PDF) [8 May 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Iman And The Call To Contemplate [8 May 2015]|
17 April 2015
- Throughout the life of our beloved messenger, Prophet Muhammad s.a.w., one trait that was never separated from him was his wisdom.
- When Rasulullah practiced Islam, taught others and called upon others to embrace the religion by giving them advice, he did all that with wisdom.
- Wisdom, along with Allah’s will, is the key to touching the hearts of our family and friends, and to motivate them to be more inclined toward the path of goodness and to boost their love for the religion of Allah and the teachings of His messenger.
|Khutbah Title||Understanding Wisdom In Practicing The Religion (PDF) [17 April 2015]|
|Khutbah Title||Understanding Wisdom In Practicing The Religion [17 April 2015]|
27 February 2015
The more knowledge we gain, the more it should make us grateful to Allah s.w.t. for the gift of knowledge that He has bestowed upon us. The more knowledge we gain, the more we should reflect humility, or tawadhu’, towards others.
This lack of adab (good manners) in seeking knowledge can lead to fanaticism (ta’assub), segregation and cliques within the Ummah, eventually leading to further disunity.
As a true seeker of knowledge with a deep sense of love for knowledge, we need to realise that seeking knowledge is a long and arduous journey. In seeking knowledge we need to constantly be in a state of worship to Allah. Only then will we be guided to cleanse our hearts from mazmumah, or ugly traits such as pride, arrogance and takabbur.
The Akhlak of a Learned Person: Humility/Tawadhu’. (PDF) [27 February 2015]
The Akhlak of a Learned Person: Humility/Tawadhu’. [27 February 2015]
The more knowledge we gain, the more it should make us grateful to Allah s.w.t. for the gift of knowledge that He has bestowed upon us. The more knowledge we gain, the more we should reflect humility, or tawadhu’, towards others.
20 February 2015
Acquiring true, authentic Islamic knowledge requires a qualified teacher. The necessity of an educator and the educator’s role to guide a person on the path to attain Allah’s pleasure is pivotal. Hence, although Prophet Muhammad s.a.w. was given the title “the educator of all educators”, Allah still sent the angel Jibril a.s. to teach the Prophet about Islam.
|Khutbah Title: The Importance Of Being Guided By A Teacher In Seeking Religious Knowledge. (PDF) [20 February 2015]|
|Khutbah Title: The Importance Of Being Guided By A Teacher In Seeking Religious Knowledge. [20 February 2015]|
13 February 2015
“And thus we have made you a just community that you will be witnesses over the people and the Messenger will be a witness over you.” [surah Al-Baqarah verse 143]
|Khutbah Title: Wasatiyyah – Developing a Just Mind. [13 February 2015]|
Wasatiyyah – Developing a Just Mind. (PDF) [13 February 2015]
06 February 2015
The noble message that Rasulullah s.a.w. had brought to us was one that emphasised on the importance of knowledge in our lives. The Islamic civilisation that we inherited today was also one that placed great importance in mastering knowledge and its application for the benefit of humankind in its entirety.
|Khutbah Title: Empowering Oneself With Knowledge. (PDF) [06 February 2015]|
|Khutbah Title: Empowering Oneself With Knowledge. [06 February 2015]|
To view all Khutbahs, please click here